Marketplace: Summer glow
Warmer evenings mean we can spend more time outdoors enjoying meals under the stars. But candles can be snuffed out by even the softest breeze. To keep the party going, light up the night with one of these stylish lanterns.
1. Enlightening art: Art and function are fused together in this eight-sided ceramic lantern. We found the intricately detailed piece for $49.95 at J.D Adam, 795 Bank St. , in the Glebe.
2. Barring a hurricane: The wind will have a hard time blowing out the candle in the Rapheal Lantern from Raquel Breane. Set inside a glass holder surrounded by iron slats, the flame can burn for hours. The lantern is available in two sizes: 28.5 cm tall for $14.99 and 56 cm (as shown) for $49.99 at Benix and Co., including the store in the Ottawa Trainyards.
3. Colour splash: Host a Mardi Gras soirée with ROTERA tealight lanterns from IKEA. Available in assorted fun colours, the tin lanterns measure 21 centimetres high and can be used inside or out. At $3.99 each, they won’t last long.
4. Blowing the roof: Who knew a tealight could generate so much light? With the Candle-Powered LED Lantern, heat from the tiny flame is harnessed to power eight LEDs tucked inside the lantern’s roof. For more light, the roof lifts up on two telescoping supports to cast a bright glow over the table. Get one for $99 at Lee Valley Tools, 900 Morrison Dr.
No need to fear the dark with the Baja lanterns on the job. Made of white-painted wood and shiny metal, the coach-style lanterns are available in three sturdy sizes: 39.5 cm tall for $39.99, 44.5 cm for $59.99 and 52 cm for $49.99 at Bowring stores. Candles sold separately.
6. Garden party: Dine alfresco by the soft flicker of the BRACKE lanterns made from mouth-blown glass. The bubbled glass sits inside a metal cage for added protection and includes a handle to hang above the table. Pick them up for $9.99 each at IKEA.
7. Hot stuff:Add a jolt of colour to the backyard with these neon pink and green lanterns from Bowring. Made of nylon mesh and glass, the playful mood makers are all about celebrating summer. We found them for $29.99 each at the Ottawa Trainyards location.
8. Touch of India: Turn your deck or patio into an exotic oasis with the Mumbai ($39) and Bombay ($29) lanterns from Urban Barn in the ByWard Market. The Indian-inspired lights are made of tin and can be hung or placed on a tabletop or the ground for instant ambiance.